I love that John Hiatt song. It's been over a year since Curt and I spent a night without children, so we headed south for an overnight getaway. My parents and sister Angie graciously agreed to keep our three children, two of which were still sick (see walking pneumonia post). We went down to Covington, LA to spend the night. We had never been to Covington and my parents thought it best that we take the route "through the country", so my sweet daddy sat down and explained to me how to get there while drawing a map. I took a picture of the map to show the details he included. This was the first leg of the trip. Note there are no words, just some tiny arrows.
.
This was the second leg of the trip, once we got to Louisiana.
.
Though I mocked the map, I actually found myself closely looking at which way to turn indicated by Dad's arrows. Curt has often said he doesn't understand how my family sometimes communicates without making complete sentences, I think this falls somewhere under that category. The completely unmarked map led us there without the first wrong turn. So, we had a lovely time of reading, relaxing, swimming, and riding a bicycle built for two around the town.
While we were there I noticed a store entitled "Tobacco and Candy". I thought what an odd combination of products to sale simultaneously. I sort of pictured a dad with his young son in there saying "Now, son you can get some licorice today, but next time we come you'll need to move on to something stronger. Maybe start smoking a pipe, or chewing some tobacco. Or maybe they sell tobacco flavored candy. Needless to say, we refrained from getting the kids souvenirs from this particular store. We had a lovely get away and some much needed sleep, but are always thankful to come home to this crew.
They are well....minus the cough that Dr. Chevalier said will linger for weeks!
Sophie is now crawling. No more sitting and playing on a 4x4 ft. blanket. SHE'S GONE!
No comments:
Post a Comment