Monday, April 20, 2009

T-Ball, Nostrils, And Carrots

In this video, after hitting the ball, Abram runs to the pitcher's mound, then to the opposing team's dugout before making it to 1st base.  It's going to be a long season.

I've been contemplating a question since Saturday:  Why are there organized sports for 4 year-old children?  A better question might be:  Why did we somehow fail to see that it is ridiculous to sign our child up for an organized sports team involving 4 year-old children?  

Needless to say, T-ball isn't going well.  Abram loves sports.  He's very interested. In our front yard, he can throw and catch the ball really well.  He can hit the ball, but you put him on the ball field with his team...and it's MELTDOWN CITY!  He cries if the ball doesn't come to him.  He's pouting when the ball DOES come to him, therefore he misses the chance to get it.  We've been very frustrated, but then I remember he's 4!  And we're the dummies who signed him up for this.  I said after Saturday's game, we should just pull him out, but then Curt said "Hales don't quit".  Well, technically I was born a "GUY" and I'm fine with quitting, but it looks like we'll keep dragging him to the ball field and suffering through this t-ball season.  At the very least we're going to have to give his coaches a very nice "End of the year" gift for putting up with him. 
I'm feeling so much better today.  Both nostrils are functioning again and my ears are a little less stopped up.  I guess it's been a really long time since I had a good old fashioned head cold and it was something.  I mean for 3 and 1/2 days I felt AWFUL.  I had to go to Target on Saturday and I literally thought I was going to have to lay down in the diaper aisle because my head felt so heavy. I appreciate ya'll checking on me.  Life is looking much clearer this morning.
Sophie started eating food last week.  She likes carrots.  Today we're going to tackle some of Paw Paw's home grown squash from the freezer.     


5 comments:

  1. Oh did that video bring back memories....I think running the bases is the next year's clinic...Abram is such a Hale. I remember the hits, the runs AND the tears and the pouts! Get ready Noel..it lasts a long time. They are so intense and serious about sports. But it's so much fun..just try to enjoy. I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure that comment encouraged me. I need a class on how to deal with Hale sports emotion! Trying to see the big picture here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just hope you aren't secretly teaching the children how to play badminton in an attempt to take down the Shackelfords and reclaim the golden raquet in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish there was a class for such a thing. Just try and go with it. Don't try to reason with them...it doesn't work. They get very intense very quickly but also get over it very quickly. I learned to just let them alone until they came to me(And they usually did eventually)for words of encouragement. By the way, sometimes I pretended that they weren't mine!!!

    ReplyDelete